21. If the Earth’s direction of rotation is reversed, what should be the IST when it is noon at the International Date Line?
(B) 05:30 hrs
(C) 18:30 hrs
(D) 17:30 hrs
Answer(A) 06:30 hrs
[IAS (Pre) 1997]
22. Which one of the following Straits is nearest to the International Date Line?
(B) Bering Strait
(C) Strait of Florida
(D) Strait of Gibraltar
Answer(B) Bering Strait
[IAS (Pre) 2008]
23. A ship is moving from the Eastern side of Aleutian Islands towards Dutch harbor. It crosses 180° meridian on 1st January, 1999 at 23:30 hr. After crossing the meridian captain of the ship will note what time and date in his diary?
January 1, 00:30 hr
(B) January 2, 00:30 hr
(C) January 3, 00:30 hr
(D) January 4, 00:30 hr
Answer(B) January 2, 00:30 hr
[IAS (Pre) 1999]
24. Captain of a ship moving Westward records the local time of 10:00 hrs Monday at 90° W. If the speed of the ship is the same as the speed of the rotation of the Earth, which of the following local time and day would be found by the captain at International date line?
04:00 hrs, Monday
(B) 10:00 hrs, Monday
(C) 10:00 hrs, Tuesday
(D) 16:00 hrs, Tuesday
Answer(B) 10:00 hrs, Monday
[Karnataka PSC (Pre) 2017 UPPCS (Pre) 2000]
25. Which path must be followed by a Ship to move from one place to another in least time?
Sea or Ocean Current
[UPPCS (Pre) 1992]
26. The local time of a place is 6:00 A.M. when the Greenwitch Mean Time(GMT) is 3:00 A.M., what is the longitude of the place?
(B) 45° East
(C) 120° East
(D) 120° West
Answer(B) 45° East
[Uttarakhand PCS (Pre) 2010 UPPCS (Pre) 2006]
27. The Equator does not pass through which of the following countries?
[MPPCS (Pre) 2012]
28. The Equator passes through
(B) Costa Rica
[UPPCS (Pre) 2008 UPPCS (Mains) 2007]
29. The total length of Earth’s equator is about
(B) 12,800 km
(C) 40,000 km
(D) 5,000 km
Answer(C) 40,000 km
[Uttarakhand PCS (Pre) 2010]
30. Through which one of the following groups of countries does the Equator pass?
Brazil, Zambia and Malaysia
(B) Colombia, Kenya and Indonesia
(C) Brazil, Sudan and Malaysia
(D) Venezuela, Ethiopia and Indonesia
Answer(B) Colombia, Kenya and Indonesia
[IAS (Pre) 2006]
31. The latitude at which ‘Annual Range of Temperature’ remains minimum is
(B) Tropic of Cancer
(C) Tropic of Capricorn
(D) North Pole Circle
[RAS/RTS (Pre) 1999]
32. Which one of the following cities is nearest to the equator?
[IAS (Pre) 2008]
33. The Equator, Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn, all the three pass through which one of the following Continents?
(C) North America
(D) South America
[Maharashtra PSC (Pre) 2018 UPPCS (Spl) (Mains) 2004]
34. Which of the following countries are located on the Equator?
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(A) 1 and 2
(B) 2 and 3
(C) 3 and 4
(D) 1 and 4
Answer(B) 2 and 3
[UPPCS (Pre) 2010]
35. At the Winter Solstice the noon altitude of the Sun at the Tropic of Cancer is
[UPPCS (Pre) 1997]
36. The Tropic of Cancer does not pass through
[UPPCS (Pre) 2005]
37. Tropic of Capricorn does not pass through
[UP Lower Sub. (Pre) 1997]
38. Which of the following phenomenon happens in India when the Sun-shines vertically over the Tropic of Capricorn?
High pressure develops over North-West India
(B) Low pressure develops over North-West India
(C) No change in pressure occurs over North-West India
(D) Temperature increases in North-West India
Answer(A) High pressure develops over North-West India
[Chhattisgarh PCS (Pre) 2015]
39. Where are day and night equal throughout year?
(B) South Pole
[Meghalaya PSC (Pre) 2019 MPPCS (Pre) 1995]
40. At the time the summer solstice in the Northern hemisphere the length of the day will be 12 hours at the
Tropic of Cancer
(B) Tropic of Capricorn
(C) Arctic Circle
[Manipur PSC (Pre) 2017 UPPCS (Pre) 1997]