1. Who was the first Portuguese Viceroy in India?
[45th BPSC (Pre) 2001]
2. Who among the following had welcomed Vasco-da-Gama at Calicut?
(D) Don Ahnaida
[UP Lower Sub. (Pre) 2013]
3. In which year Vasco-da-Gama arrived at Calicut?
(B) 1498 A.D.
(C) 1530 A.D.
(D) 1612 A.D.
Answer(B) 1498 A.D.
[Chhattisgarh PCS (Pre) 2004]
4. When did Vasco-da-Gama come to India?
[MPPCS (Pre) 1995 UPPCS (Pre) 1992]
5. Who was the real founder of Portuguese power in India?
(C) Bartholomuse Dies
(D) George Oxdone
[Meghalaya PSC (Pre) 2019 UP Lower Sub. (Pre) 2003]
6. At which one of the following places in India did the Portuguese build their first fortress?
[UPPCS (Mains) 2010]
7. Who were the first Europeans to come to India for trade?
[UPPCS (Mains) 2007 UPPCS (Spl) (Mains) 2004 UPPCS (Pre) 2000, 1993, 90]
8. Who were the first Europeans to set up sea trade centres in India?
(B) The French
(C) The Portuguese
(D) The Dutch
Answer(C) The Portuguese
[Uttarakhand PCS (Pre) 2004]
9. Among the following factories in Bengal, the one established by the Portuguese was
[UPPCS (Pre) 2004]
10. Hooghly was used as a base for piracy in the Bay of Bengal by
[IAS (Pre) 1995]
11. Which one of the followings is connected with ‘Blue Water’ policy?
(D) Robert Clive
Answer(A) De Almeida
[Uttarakhand PCS (Pre) 2016]
12. Who among the following was the founder of Calcutta?
(B) Job Charnock
(C) Garold Angiyar
(D) William Novris
Answer(B) Job Charnock
[UPPCS (Spl) (Mains) 2004]
13. Who among the following Europeans, was the last to come to pre-independence India as traders?
[IAS (Pre) 2007]
14. With reference to the entry of European powers into India, which one of the following statements is not correct?
The Portuguese captured Goa in 1499
(B) The English opened their first factory in South India at Masulipatnam
(C) In Eastern India, the English company opened its first factory in Orissa in 1633
(D) Under the leadership of Dupleix, the French occupied Madras in 1746
Answer(A) The Portuguese captured Goa in 1499
[IAS (Pre) 2003]
15. The first to start a joint stock company to trade with India were the
[IAS (Pre) 1994]
16. In which of the following places the Dutch established their trading centre in India?
Nagappattinam, Chinsura, Machilipatnam
(B) Surat, Bharuch, Agra
(C) Cochin, Ahmedabad, Patna
(D) All of the above
Answer(D) All of the above
[UPPCS (Pre) 2017]
17. Which one of the following is the correct statement?
The modern Kochi was a Dutch colony till India’s independence
(B) The Dutch defeated the Portuguese and built Fort Williams in the modern Kochi
(C) The modern Kochi was first a Dutch Colony before the Portuguese took over from them
(D) The modern Kochi never became a part of the British colony
Answer(B) The Dutch defeated the Portuguese and built Fort Williams in the modern Kochi
[IAS (Pre) 2005]
18. The secret of success of East India Company in India was
Absence of Nationalism in India
(B) The company army received Western training and they had modern arms
(C) Indian Soldiers had lackness of fidelity consequently who play them sufficient could have them on his service
(D) All above three
Answer(D) All above three
[UPPCS (Pre) 1994]
19. Which of the following British companies got the first charter permitting them to trade in India?
(B) East India Company
(C) The English Company trading to the East Indies
(D) Ostend Company
Answer(A) Levant Company
[UPPSC (RI) 2014]
20. Which one of the following was the Emperor of India when British East India Company was formed in London?
(C) Shah Jahan
[UPPCS (Pre) 2012 UP Lower Sub. (Pre) 2004]