1. Shivaji defeated the Mughals in the battle of
[UPPCS (Mains) 2005]
2. When was Shivaji born and when did he assume the title of Chhatrapati?
(B) 1625, 1671
(C) 1627, 1661
(D) 1627, 1674
Answer(D) 1627, 1674
[UPPCS (Mains) 2015]
3. Which is/are correct reasons of Maratha’s Rise?
(B) Geographical Security
(C) Political awakening
(D) All of the above
Answer(D) All of the above
[UPPCS (Pre) 1992]
4. Who was the commander who sent by Sultan of Bijapur for repression of Shivaji in 1659?
(B) Afzal Khan
(C) Shaista Khan
(D) Sayyid Banda
Answer(B) Afzal Khan
[UPPCS (Pre) 1999]
5. In which city was Shivaji in captivity when he escaped from the custody of the Mughals?
[MPPCS (Pre) 2005]
6. Where was the capital of Shivaji?
[UPPCS (Pre) 1990]
7. Where was Shivaji formally crowned as Chhatrapati?
[UPPCS (Mains) 2016]
8. What was the name of Shivaji’s Guru?
(C) Vaman Pandit
(D) Gaga Bhatt
[MPPCS (Pre) 2016]
9. Ashtapradhan was a Council of Ministers
In the Gupta administration
(B) In the Chola administration
(C) In the Vijayanagara administration
(D) In the Maratha administration
Answer(D) In the Maratha administration
[UPPCS (Mains) 2013 IAS (Pre) 1996]
10. At the time of Shivaji, the post of ‘Sarnobat’ was related with
(B) Judicial administration
(C) Local administration
(D) Military administration
Answer(D) Military administration
[UPPSC (RI) 2014]
11. The member of Shivaji’s Ashtapradhan who looked after foreign affairs was
(C) Pandit Rao
[IAS (Pre) 1998]
12. During the reign of Shivaji, the foreign minister was known as
[MPPCS (Pre) 2014]
13. ‘Ashtapradhan’ a Council of Ministers helped in discharge of State affairs to
(B) Samudra Gupta
[UPPCS (Pre) 1995, 1991]
14. Who among the following streamlined the Maratha administration after Shambhaji?
(B) Balaji Viswanath
(C) Ganga Bai
(D) Nanaji Deshmukh
Answer(B) Balaji Viswanath
[IAS (Pre) 2000]
15. The Maratha King became a nonentity and the Peshwa the virtual ruler from the time of
(B) Bajirao I
(C) Balaji Bajirao
(D) Madhavrao I
Answer(C) Balaji Bajirao
[Assam PSC (Pre) 2019 UPPCS (Mains) 2007]
16. At the time of Aurangzeb’s death, the Maratha leadership was in the hands of
[UPRO/ARO (Mains) 2013 UPPCS (Pre) 2012]
17. Who among the following Maratha women led struggles against the Mughal Empire from 1700 A.D. onwards?
(B) Mukta Bai
(C) Tara Bai
(D) Rukmini Bai
Answer(C) Tara Bai
[UPPCS (Spl) (Pre) 2008]
18. Saranzami system was related to
Land revenue system of Maratha
(B) Taluqdari system
(C) Qutb Shahi administration
(D) None of the above
Answer(A) Land revenue system of Maratha
[39th BPSC (Pre) 1994]
19. A historian witness to the third battle of Panipart. Who was he?
(B) Kashiraj Pandit
(C) Dattaji Pingle
(D) Harcharan Das
Answer(B) Kashiraj Pandit
[Chhattisgarh PCS (Pre) 2003]
20. What was the immediate reason for Ahmad Shah Abdali to invade India and fight the Third Battle of Panipat?
He wanted to avenge the expulsion of his Viceroy Timur Shah from Lahore by Marathas
(B) The frustrated Governor of Jullundhar Adina Beg Khan invited him to invade Punjab
(C) He wanted to punish Mughal administration for non-payment of the revenues of the Chahar Mahal(Gujarat, Aurangabad, Sialkot and Pasrur)
(D) He wanted to annex all the fertile plains of Punjab up to the borders of Delhi to his kingdom
Answer(A) He wanted to avenge the expulsion of his Viceroy Timur Shah from Lahore by Marathas
[IAS (Pre) 2010]